May 27, 2010

Kombucha adventures!

I made a couple batches of kombucha yesterday. The process took about an hour, and I spent about $20 altogether (two glass bottles, two bottles of the good brand of store-bought kombucha, free tea from a dumpster!).



First, brew a shit-ton of black tea. I did a blend of plain black tea and oolong. It's what I had available for free. It was dumpstered. No big deal.

For about 2.5 gallons of water, I used 10 bags of tea.








Add that tea to your pipping hot water. Brew it for a while. You know, till whenever. Just don't brew it too long. Make it yummy.











Once your tea is brewed, add a bunch of sugar to it. I put in a cup of sugar per batch. That's some sweet fucking tea.







Chill the tea to room temperature. It's best to chill it fast. Do it like you learned in your Food Handler's Permit classes. Do an ice-bath. I put cold water in these water dispensers, then added a bunch of ice. It took about 20 minutes.



Once it's at room temperature, add the bottle of store-bought kombucha to your tea. One bottle per batch.







Cover that shit. I use clean paper towels, rubber-banded over the lid. The important part is to keep the fucking germs out to prevent your growing mother from getting infected. Dirty kombucha is gross. Keep it clean, and you'll end up with way better kombucha.




Store it in a mid-temp, dry place. It's gotta be an ideal temperature for bacteria to grow and for the fermentation process to go smoothly, but not exposed to conditions that could stunt that growth. Not too cold, not too hot, no direct light.









Cover that shit. Keep the light out.


I used a scarf.









These are good instructions. My kombucha is delicious.


(ps, I was slightly tipsy when I made this blog post.)

0 comments: